Epilogue


We were away for fifty days and on the road for about half of that time, with an intensive trip during the last ten days, from Paris, where we stayed with friends, across France, through Switzerland, then down the Dalmation coast into Albania, cutting across the mountains to Ioanina and on to Pireaus. The last day was a long, long drive, through heavy rain – we’ve not had much on this trip – to catch the last ferry to Syros before the boats went on strike. After twenty-five different beds along the way, Chris was determined to sleep in his own bed that night. I was planning to lie low for a few days but got ‘busted’ in Pireaus as one of my volunteers had the same ferry in mind. 

 

There’s a quotation about travel that I can’t remember exactly, but it states that for any journey to be worthwhile, the distance travelled inwardly must match that travelled outwardly. This trip started as a bit of a whim – my travel companion had already planned the journey but wasn’t keen to do it alone. We didn’t really discuss the finer details. Chris wanted to get there and back in one piece, I wanted us to stay friends. I think we managed both of those objectives but there were some tense moments along the way. It turned out he was much better equipped than me; a more confident driver, fitter, stronger and a good mechanic. I couldn’t bring much to the party. I felt nervous about driving what is quite a heavy car with no power steering or modern accoutrements, I don’t know my left from my right and am not good with maps. Add to this the inefficiency of Google maps when the signal is weak and I felt a failure for a lot of the time. 

 

But we’re both quite laid back and were happy to let days unfold with only a general plan. I’ve done a lot of harsh travelling, so don’t worry too much about physical hardship – I had fleecy socks, trousers, boots and gloves to keep warm. With mobile data it’s much easier to find accommodation along the way, so we never had to sleep in the car. As we got further east, it became more of a challenge. The small family pensions and simple motel chains that had served us so well didn’t exist anymore. Hotels became boutique and expensive and we had to resort to apartments, which although often bigger were in short supply in the winter, the owners often elusive and the apartments tucked into back streets, making them harder to find. At the end of a long day’s driving, I kept waiting for Chris to lose his cool with me, but he never did. As he pointed out, this was probably an expectation from my past experiences – baggage that I need to learn to shed. This journey certainly knocked me out of my comfort zone, which was no bad thing. Travelling like this is challenging. In the past, travelling with people I’ve known really well it hasn’t been so harmonious – I don’t tolerate conflict well. Chris teased me about some of my ‘dizzy blonde moments,’ but on the whole, I think we did both survive in one piece. 

 

It turned out that neither of us are morning people, so it was hard to get going early. I hate to shower at night and go to bed with wet hair, so inevitably Chris was ready first and either having breakfast or waiting while I got my act together. We weren’t fussy about food either, we learned to eat what was available. He doesn’t eat sweet things, and didn’t munch on peppermints or biscuits in the car, so I didn’t either and lost some weight. Happily, I still don’t crave chocolate. I probably drank more than usual though. It's a shame not to sample local beers and wine, but I soon learnt not to overdo the imbibing, especially when celebrating with friends. 

 

Then there are ‘the behind things’ as one of my friends once called them. They just slip out of sight and don’t get immediately missed – socks left hanging on a radiator in France, a pillow used once and never seen again, a hot water bottle left in a bed, a thermos flask that committed suicide – never mind, we can all learn to survive with less 

 

Living as we do on a small Greek island, although lovely, it’s easy to get stuck in a rut, so it’s important to do something a bit more challenging from time to time.  I’ve done a lot of evaluating along the road and since I’ve been back and it is probably time to make some life changes. I’m not sure yet, exactly what they might be, but something will emerge from the confusion. It’s interesting to think about who and what I missed – it wasn’t always what I expected. 

 

It proved difficult to keep the blog going as we travelled – there were too many distractions and we were both tired at the end of the day. Also, Wi-Fi wasn’t as widely available as I had expected and it’s hard to type on my phone. I need a smaller laptop for my next trip.  

 

I’m grateful to those people we met along the way. Friends who hosted us generously and some random strangers who were ready to help travellers in distress, Connor, who cheerfully got us off the motorway and was happy to try to solve our problems and find us accommodation for the night when there was no room at the inns. Aimile, the star of the show, stoical, comfortable and sturdy, heavily loaded but still transporting us over mountain passes in style. And everyone who took an interest in the trip, from some of my incredulous and envious friends and those who followed our blog and joined our competition, all those who waved, tooted and took our photographs… And of course, to Chris, who did all the driving, a perfect travelling companion, who knocked me out of my comfort zone, taught me so much and gave me sanctuary when I needed it. And a big thank you to Jo and my volunteers who managed things so competently, while I was away.

 

Now I’m back at Syros Cats and the trip is fading into the past – taking on a dream-like quality. I’ve neglected things here and have pages of ‘to-do’ lists, for which I’m trying to get enthusiastic. But summer in Syros is just around the corner and it’s good to look forward to the arrival of friends and family – this island is a great place to live.

 

I’m signing off now – I’ll leave it to Chris to complete his finale, coming soon, about the more technical aspects of the journey – and of course eventually, there will be a book…

 

Thank you everyone for following and supporting.

 

Jacky


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introducing Aimile

Here we go ...

A long drive...